Stewart’s Melville College

Queensferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3EZ
Phone: 0131 357 1748

The Old College, by David Rhind, opened in 1855 as Daniel Stewart’s Hospital for 50 destitute boys. In 1870 the Edinburgh Merchant Company turned the Hospital into a fee paying day school and changed the name to Daniel Stewart’s College.

The old courtyard at the north side of the building was eventually roofed over and this reopened in 2007 following a multi million pound rebuild to create a Performing Arts Centre. There are other fine rooms such as the Library, formerly the Chapel and the Principal’s Study.

While we are not open to the public for in-person Doors Open Days visits this year you can still find out more about our history by viewing this timeline, browsing our digital archive or having a virtual wander through parts of the school in this interactive 360° photosphere tour.

Edinburgh and East Lothian Doors Open Days is supported by:

Arnold Clark Community FundHinshelwood Gibson TrustEuropean Heritage DaysScottish Civic TrustUrwin Studio Edinburgh Web Design

Event Sponsor