Northern Lighthouse Board
84 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 3DA
The Northern Lighthouse Board (NLB) has provided a vital safety service to mariners since 1786.
Originally tasked with the construction of just four lighthouses: Kinnaird Head, North Ronaldsay, Scalpay and Mull of Kintyre, it gained a reputation for engineering excellence as the number of lighthouses increased in and around the Scottish coast. This was largely down to Robert Stevenson (1772-1850), a civil engineer who was responsible for the design and construction of at least 15 of NLB’s major lighthouses.