Portobello Baptist Church
189-193 High Street, Portobello, Edinburgh, EH15 2PW
Portobello Baptist Church bought its present three story building in 1920 having rented it for a year beforehand. The building was designed by David Bryce as the first of three buildings used as Portobello Town Hall. It was built in 1863 on the site of the first dwelling in the now Portobello area. “Puerto Bello house” was built in 1747 on the “Figgate Whins”.
From 1887 it became an entertainment hall and then a cinema from 1910. The original cinema seats (which are for sale) have now been taken out and replaced by freestanding seating more fit for purpose for an active 21st century church.
In 1924 the church hall was dismantled and transferred from “Timbertown” near Gretna Green having been used as part of the munitions war effort.
Being on Portobello High Street and just looking “like a cafe”, people do not realise what is in the building. Come and see for yourself sometime!
Until then however, we hope you will enjoy a quick virtual visit below in this video specially produced for Doors Open Days.