49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
Phone: 0131 556 3128
49 Albany Street is the Headquarters for Deaf Action, a charity organisation for deaf people in Scotland established in 1835 making it the oldest deaf organisation in the world. An organisation that is almost as old as 49 Albany Street itself.
Albany Street was part of the first extension of the New Town with the first known residents recorded in 1818. Historically Edinburgh has been an important centre for the deaf community and deaf culture.
The world’s first school for the deaf was founded in 1760 by Thomas Braidwood in what is now Dumbiedykes Road (named after the deaf children), and in 1830 the first deaf- led church services began in the city.
In 1825 Alexander Blackwood, former pupil at the deaf school, led a group which founded the first Deaf and Dumb Benevolent Society, the first name of what is now known as Deaf Action.
The Society acted as a social as well as a religious hub for the deaf population. There is a collection of artworks by deaf people at the building.
We hope to open for Doors Open Days 2021 on both Saturday and Sunday 25-26 September (more details below). If you can’t make it along in person please enjoy the short virtual visit below.
Visit in Person
The ground floor and newly renovate garden of our building at 49 Albany Street will be open to visitors on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th of September from 10am to 4pm. We will be following all government guidance relevant to Covid-19.
There will be several artworks by Deaf Artists on display in the chapel and refreshments will be on offer in our garden.