Corstorphine Hill Tower
Clermiston Road, Edinburgh, EH12 6UP
Built in 1871 by William MacFie of Clermiston as a memorial to Sir Walter Scott on the hundredth anniversary of the author’s birth, the Corstorphine Hill Tower is now a famous viewpoint on the summit of the hill.
Gifted to the city of Edinburgh in 1932, at 200m above sea level the Tower commands magnificent views in all directions, to the Pentlands, the upper Forth, Fife and the Firth, and the City Centre and East Lothian.
The Tower will be open to in-person visits again this Doors Open Days weekend (details below). But if you can’t make it along this year do enjoy a virtual visit below in the short video made by local filmmaker Jim Sheach of a musical celebration held last month at the Tower to commemorate the 150th anniversary of its building and the 250th anniversary of Scott’s birth.
Visit in Person
For this Doors Open Days weekend volunteers from the Friends of Corstorphine Hill will be on hand to answer questions and guide visitors up the Tower from 2pm-4pm on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th September.
Access the tower from the gated drive on Clermston Road near the 26 bus terminus, or from a small car park at the top of Kaimes Road.