The Cockburn Association was officially formed on 15 June 1875 at a public meeting addressed by Lord Moncrief of Tullibole. The first major campaign by the Association was to resist the removal of trees at Bruntsfield Links. The Cockburn has campaigned for the retention and improvement of Edinburgh’s open and green spaces ever since. Many of the Association’s campaigns have required considerable patience and determination. In 1877 the Association campaigned to bring land along the Water of Leith into public use and some 98 years later we saw success with the opening of the Water of Leith Walkway. The Association was also instrumental in opposing some of the damaging plans for inner city highways and Edinburgh, as a result, has been left unsullied by inner city motorways.